Saturday 6 November 2010

Laurie Lipton – The Mother of All Machinery


My good friend Laurie Lipton has an exciting new show opening at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in Los Angeles this week. When she first told me about ‘Machine Punk’ during the summer I have to say it really got my wheels spinning, as I had been long been interested in documenting a sexual history of machines, which was also the subject of a lecture I gave at the Anti-Design Fair in September this year. With her customary excessive rigour, Laurie takes the collision of machinery and its deviants into completely new and extreme dimensions – all the more extraordinary for being painstakingly hand-rendered. After all, if machines really are extensions of our limbs and senses, then surely they should extend our neuroses as well? And would these neuroses not be present in every last little detail and fibre of our experience? Or to put it another way: never travel with your back to the engine. Those not in the vicinity of Hollywood Boulevard can preview the show online by clicking here. Learn to be afraid.

No comments: